The US-based makers of the game Fortnite are suing an events company from Lincolnshire after it used the name of their game in a children’s event that was described as ‘shambolic’.
Epic Games, based in Cary, North Carolina, confirmed to Mail Online that the ‘Fortnite Live’ event in Royal Norfolk Showground Arena in Norwich was ‘not in any way associated’ with the multi-billion dollar company.
The Fortnite Live event was billed as the ‘Fortnite event of the year’ with thousands of youngsters looking forward to being immersed in a world based on their favourite game.
Parents paid between £13.52 and £22.14 for advanced tickets, but had to shell out £20 extra for activities like a ‘cave experience’ that turned out to be a tunnel running through a trailer with a slide, according to one disgruntled parent.
After a huge backlash online that included dozens of angered parents saying they would report the event, the producers of the uber-popular game say they have issued a claim against the organisers in London’s High Court.
A spokesperson for Epic Games told Mail Online: ‘The quality of our player experience is incredibly important to us, whether it’s inside the game or at official public events like last year’s Fortnite Pro-Am.
Epic Games free v bucks generator was not in any way associated with the event that took place in Norwich and we’ve issued a claim against the organizers in the High Court of London.’
There were 2,800 festival goers at Saturday’s event, but the climbing wall hired by organisers only had room for three people at a time. There were similar issues on Sunday.
Fortnite was released in July 2017 and was said by Bloomberg to have brought the value of Epic Games to a new level.